Application for a Foreign Qualification to Do Business Out of State

Foreign Qualification Basics

 A “Foreign Qualification” is the process a business entity goes through to legally operate in a state other than the one where it was initially incorporated or formed. It allows the business to conduct its activities in that new state while remaining compliant with local regulations.

 When a business entity wishes to operate in a state where it wasn’t originally formed, it’s considered “foreign” in that state. For example, if a corporation formed in Delaware wants to do business in California, it’s considered a foreign corporation in California.

A Certificate of Authority is a document issued by a state’s governing agency (usually the Secretary of State’s office) that grants a foreign business entity permission to operate within that state.

The foreign qualification process typically involves submitting an application (sometimes called an Application for Certificate of Authority) to the state’s Secretary of State or similar agency. This application provides essential information about the business, its original state of formation, and its intended activities in the new state. Once the application is approved and any required fees are paid, the business will receive a Certificate of Authority to legally operate in the foreign state.

Foreign Qualification

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
$ 0.00