Foreign Qualification to Do Business Out of State

Foreign Qualification

Spend less time. I’ll take care of the paperwork.

Common standards comprise, but are not limited to:

  • Does the business actually exist in the state?
  • Does the organization employ people who live in the state?
  • Does the business carry out banking within the state?


Conditions for obtaining a foreign qualification or authority certificate:

  • Must submit the necessary state paperwork and pay the required state charge.
  • To confirm the status of business formation, one must get a Certificate of Good Standing from the state of origin.
Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
$ 0.00

Common Questions About Your Foreign Qualification

You should file for a Certificate of Authority or Foreign Qualification when your business entity intends to operate in a state other than its home state. This is necessary when your business has a physical presence or conducts significant business activities in the foreign state. Typically, you need to file before commencing operations in the new state.

To file for a Certificate of Authority, you generally need to provide:

  • A completed application form from the foreign state’s Secretary of State office.
  • A certificate of good standing or similar document from your home state to prove your business’s compliance there.
  • Information about your registered agent in the foreign state, who will receive legal documents on your behalf.
  • Payment for the filing fee, which varies by state.

The cost of filing a foreign qualification varies by state. Filing fees can range from as low as $50 to a few hundred dollars, depending on the state’s requirements and any optional expedited processing fees.

The processing time for a foreign qualification varies from state to state. In general, it can take anywhere from a few business days to several weeks for your application to be reviewed and approved. Some states offer expedited processing for an additional fee.

To obtain a Certificate of Good Standing, you typically need to request it from the Secretary of State’s office in your business’s home state. This document confirms that your business is compliant with its home state’s regulations and is authorized to do business there. The certificate may be required as part of your foreign qualification application.

Upon approval of your foreign qualification application, you will receive a Certificate of Authority or a similar document from the foreign state’s Secretary of State office. This certificate serves as official proof that your business is authorized to operate in that state as a foreign entity. It will contain important details such as your business’s name, identification number, and the date of qualification.